Thursday, June 14, 2018

Friday Five: Five Best Lines From Bull Durham

My favorite baseball movie of all time is turning 30 on Friday, so I thought I would make a list of my favorite quotes from the script for this week's countdown.  Since my blog's namesake is taken from the iconic bull in the outfield of the Durham Bulls Athletic Park, I actually try to place some of the lines from the movies in posts, as titles to posts, and also frequently on my various social media accounts.

While I normally do a countdown of five items in these posts, Bull Durham has a few too many great lines to leave off the list, so I am going to go with a double list this week of ten items.  There is that much to love about this movie.

Two quick notes about the movie before I get my countdown started......

1.  The Durham Athletic Park is still standing.  If you are ever in these parts, it is definitely worth a visit.  The stadium hosts different baseball games throughout the spring and summer, with its primary tenant being the North Carolina Central Eagles, which is an HBC college in Durham.  The NC Central games at the park are free, just park your car down the street somewhere and not in the stadium lot.




2.  I cannot tell you the first time I watched this movie, but the first time I watched and thought of it as a favorite was probably at some point during college.  Late 1990s.  At that point, it was just a funny entertaining movie about baseball.  After moving to North Carolina, and following Minor League Baseball for several years, I have come to realize that there are many realistic aspects of this movie.  Several former and current Major League players have shared this sentiment, most recently Curt Schilling chimed in after political commentator Ben Shapiro tweeted out that Bull Durham was overrated.  


There are others out there in agreement with Schilling.  

Just a warning, before you start clicking videos.  The Snorting Bull is generally a PG, PG-13 at worst, type of blog.  The movie Bull Durham is an R rated movie.  Just a heads up.  

Without further delay.....this week's list.


10. "I believe in the church of baseball"  -Annie Savoy 



9. "21 greatest days of my life" -Crash Davis 



8. "and when you speak of me, speak well"  -Crash Davis 



7. "Strikeouts are boring, besides that they're facist"  -Crash Davis 




6. "Don't think, it can only hurt the ball club"  -Crash Davis 



5.  "Lollygaggers" -Larry Hockett 
  



4. "You're Going To Have To Learn Your Cliches"  -Crash Davis 




3. "Just throw it all the bull"  -Crash Davis 




2. "Guy gets a free steak"  -Crash Davis 



1. "Candlesticks always make a nice gift"  -Larry Hockett 





1 comment:

  1. Awesome movie. #1, #3, and #8 are three of my favorite scenes.

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....