Sunday, April 29, 2018

Evan Longoria's Tiny Head

I got a really nice card last weekend of former Durham Bulls star Evan Longoria.  It pains me a little bit to say former Ray, or Giants third baseman.  Still in denial.  He will always be a favorite player and I still intend on collecting his cards no matter where he is playing baseball.  My more recent Longoria cards have been more towards the high end of the spectrum, although Longoria cards are not really all that expensive at this point.

This was my last Longoria card......



which was from last year's Five Star set.  

The new Longoria card also comes from a high end product, but it's a set that Topps retired a few years back.  I liked these cards....




out of Topps Sterling.  

These were always attractive looking cards, although I never really liked that they had sticker autographs.  Sterling was always a product that I never actually opened myself, just bought the single cards off of Ebay.  I like the appearance of this Longoria Sterling card, there is just one thing that seems off about this card.  

The autograph is nice, though it's on a sticker, the relic pieces look fine too.  Card design is decent.  However, the picture of Longoria on the top of the card is somewhat ridiculous.  He's tiny.  I almost wonder why Topps even included a picture on this card.  

Was this standard on Sterling cards?  I consulted my card collection for answers.  I found a few.  



Bernie Williams?  Normal.  



Pujols?  Normal.


A-Rod?  Normal.  

Sterling cards from other years?


Normal and......


normal.

I understand that the Longoria card has a whole bunch of relics, and an autograph on the card.  The space around all of that stuff is pretty small, but the Sterling Longoria card has to have the smallest head shot of any card that I can remember.

While I was looking through my for my Sterling cards, I actually found another Longoria card with a limited amount of space for the picture....




even a card with a giant letter smacked in the middle of the card has a bigger picture of Longoria than the Sterling card.  

Sure, it's a card with a tiny picture, but in the end a Longoria autograph with a print run of ten is nice no matter how goofy someone at Topps went with the design.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....