Tuesday, March 6, 2018

It's Seemed Like Small Change, But...

A post on San Jose Fuji's page last month sent me scrambling through some of my boxes to look for some of those coin cards that Topps seems to put out every year.  I am not sure what year, or set, that Topps started making the coin cards, but the Currency set from the 2003 Topps Gallery product has to be one of the earliest.

After seeing the Sasaki card on Fuji's blog, I knew that I had a few of these Currency cards hanging out somewhere, and that these might be worthy of a project.  I found a big handful of the cards including....




Musial, Willie McCovey, and even a Jackie Robinson.  There are a few others that I didn't list.  I like this Vladimir Guerrero, so this is the card I went with for my post.  That Centavo is sweet.  Seemed like a good start.  I also had a few things coming in from COMC, so I picked up another two cards on the cheap.




I picked up a Kaz Sasaki card with a Yen.....




and a Rodrigo Lopez with a Centavo.  This is a Centavo of the Mexican variety.  

After looking around on COMC, the most expensive card that I found was a copy of the Musial, which I already own.  Most expensive card checked off, the whole idea of making this set into a project was seeming like a really good idea.  

and then I did something that I usually do at the beginning of setting out on a project.  Check Ebay and looking at a checklist.  I have been using COMC a lot lately, staying away from Ebay, so the search results on Ebay were a little bit disappointing.  Namely......






a $60 Babe Ruth card.  Also there is a.......




$75 Lou Gehrig card too. 

Damn Yankees.  



When the odds are sayin' you'll never win
That's when the grin should start


Pretty doubtful my wife will be grinning if I spend $135 on two Yankees cards with coins.  Welp, I have a few nice coin cards out of the whole thing, but this is not going to be a project.  

1 comment:

  1. The two US coins being upside down would drive me nuts...I don't think I would be able to enjoy them if I had them.

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....