Thursday, September 14, 2017

Set Project #1 Update- Thanks Pedro

Back in 2016 I said I was going to work on a few set projects and post them on my blog.  I made a few handy little pages at the top of the page and started out pretty well.  I found cards, I posted the cards, and I crossed them off my checklist.  Seemed like a great idea that was going well.  There are actually a few finished sets up that tab, but probably not nearly as many as there should be.  

So far I have finished the 2001 Archives base set, an insert set from the 2000 Skybox EX-Century set, and the 1990 Upper Deck set.  I have a cool Topps Gallery Heritage project going that is actually just about ready for a completed project post and a Bowman Autograph set that is almost also done.  

My most frustrating set has actually been the first set project, that I started back in April of 2016, which was the 1999 Skybox Molten Metal Xplosion cards.  Also known as the metal card set.  


As of late 2016 I was done to just a handful of cards.  I actually found them really quickly and then I was down to just one card.  I hate when this happens.  One card means that you are going to sit and watch all the different card sites.....waiting......waiting......

A few years ago I put together a 1998 Topps Tek set and I got down to just needing Jason Kendall.  It took forever and that was for Jason Kendall.....



for the Molten Metal set I was missing one Pedro Martinez card.  There were literally none up for sale on Ebay, COMC, and Sport Lots which are my usual shopping destinations.  I went to a card show, in Raleigh, and that felt like a wild goose chase trying to find one baseball card in a really big exhibition hall.  It might have been there, but I kind of gave up at a certain point.  Not a great idea.  

Welp, I finally found Pedro.  Not expensive, but I ended up with 10 others cards from the set that are dupes.  Can't complain to finally cross this set off after a year and half in the works.  Here is the card.




I will do another set project post in the next week or two.  Thinking about doing a few more junk wax type sets similar to what I did with the 1990 Upper Deck set a few months ago.  1990s large set with a big whole where I can find a cheap box or wax packs.  

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing the Xplosion set! Gotta imagine that sucker is heavy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had to do this post over again, I would take box that I have the set in and make a video of it being weighed. It is easily the heaviest box in my collection.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....