Friday, April 21, 2017

Project Durham Bulls #12: Hank Conger


2016 Durham Bulls 

Background- 
Conger was drafted by the Angels in the first round (25th overall) of the 2006 Amateur Draft out of high school.  Conger was a highly regarded prospect for many years making the Baseball Prospectus Top 100 Prospects 4 times between 2007 and 2011.  He graduated to the Majors full time in 2011, but Conger never hit enough to stick a starting job with the Halos.  In 5 years with the team Conger posted a slash line of .224/.294/.353 with 17 home runs, 34 doubles, and 71 RBIs.  He was traded to the Astros after the 2014 season where he was the backup catcher and post home run Robot Dancer.  I believe this was actually called the "CongerBot"


Conger ended up with the Rays in 2016 which is probably not a great thing considering the Rays seem to run through catchers fast.  Not really a surprise, but Conger ended up in Durham and did not hit at all.  In 30 games with the Bulls Conger hit .165/.200/.303 with 3 home runs, a triple, and 4 doubles.  Conger is still in the Minors this year with the Diamondbacks.  

Card-
I am not a huge Angels person, so I never really went after any Conger cards back in the days when he was regarded as a serious prospect.  I also never pulled one of his cards, so I am not sure what they actually were worth in terms of trade or monetary value back in the day.  According to the biggest Angels card collector that I know his cards had a decent following in the years he was in the Minors.  Sort of dried up quickly after he got to the Majors.  I got this 2007 Bowman's Best autograph, which was one of his nice autos, for pretty much nothing.  I have always liked this set a lot though, even if it is sticker autographs, the silver on the sticker and card fit together well.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....