Sunday, October 20, 2019

A 1980s Card Part 23 - 1987 Donruss All-Star Pop-Ups

The Cardinals were not very good in 1986, but that did not stop Ozzie Smith from making the National League All-Star Team as their starting shortstop.  He missed the 1980 All-Star Game while he was with the Padres, but otherwise made it every year during the decade.  There are more than a few All-Star cards of Ozzie, this Donruss is one of my favorites.

In general, the Donruss All-Star Pop-Ups are one of my favorite oddballish sets from the 1980s.  I usually just bought packs of Topps, with an occasional Donruss and Fleer pack, so I am not quite sure where I got my Donruss Pop-Up cards.  I might have picked them up at some point later on too.  They are supposed to be a knock off of the 1964 Topps Stand-Ups.



At least the same concept, perforations around a picture of a baseball player that fold into a stand-up model. Other years look a lot closer. 

Here is the Ozzie Smith card.



Donruss used the host stadium of the previous year's All-Star game as the background for these cards.  The game in 1986 was hosted by the Astros at the AstroDome.  The picture of Smith is oddly blended in though.  You can tell it's a picture from Spring Training because it's the only time the Cardinals ever wear solid colored uniforms.  Still true today.  You can also see what looks like a group of Blue Jays players sitting in the dugout in the background.  

Small things, but I think the card would have looked better if they had completely blacked out the background behind Ozzie.  Maybe it's just me though.  




The back of the card has the All-Star Game logo from 1986 along with directions about how to assemble the stand-up figurine.  I have a bunch of these in my collection, and I am not sure that I have ever made one into the stand up figure.  I am going to have to do that the next time I run across one.

A good song from 1987.  Never Let Me Down Again.


1 comment:

  1. Lol. I've got a bunch of these too... and I don't think I've ever taken the time to turn one into the stand up figure either.

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....