Monday, August 5, 2019

A 1980s Card Part 12 - 1981 Fleer Bob Forsch



Love the hair style.  Never really associated Bob Forsch with having a perm, but apparently it happened at some point during the 1980 season.  It looks like he changed hairstyles with Tommy Herr for a season.....



The jersey is also really off on this card.  Fleer clearly did not airbrush it or anything, Forsch is actually wearing a jersey that looks like he bought it cheap off of Ebay.  The actual powder blue Cardinals uniforms had a better looking bird on the bat, and also the number on the front of the jersey.

This is more like it.



I am not sure I have ever seen a Cardinals player wear a jersey like that on a card that has not been airbrushed.  

Overall, this card makes me question whether or not Will Ferrell has ever made a baseball movie?  If he did, I am pretty sure that the 1981 Fleer Bob Forsch card could be the mock up for his character. 

It is not hard to get from his basketball movie......


to that picture of Bob Forsch.  


Back of the card.  



Forsch was always a decent pitcher.  He won a bunch of games, lost a bunch of games, did not strike out very many hitters, but somehow always managed to keep the ball in the park and runs off the board.  I like that the 1980s Fleer cards always show the players complete stat line including their time in the Minors, no matter their age.

1 comment:

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....