Saturday, June 8, 2013

Complete Set: 2013 Topps Archives

I am amazed at how quickly I can assemble a set sometimes without busting open a pack of cards or winning a single Ebay auction.  I managed a few trades with a couple of friends that like to participate in case busts and put together my very own 2013 Topps Archives set.  I put this set together last year and really enjoyed see all of the designs of the past Topps sets.  While I wonder at times if Topps rehashes some of their old designs a little too often, I like that the Archives set uses a few of the less used card designs in this years issue of Archives.  So, let me tell you a little bit about the set and show off the card designs in this years set.


2013 Topps Archives Mike Trout 

The most recent of the four reused designs in this year's set comes from the 1990 set.  While the actual 1990 set is generally missable, I do kind of dig the design used on the cards.  I am not not sure why I like the style of these cards, but I do.  I guess it is not a black or white border, which is hard for Topps to see beyond sometimes when they issue their base sets.  Of all the 1990 cards issued in the Archives set this year I kind of dig the Trout card the best.  

2013 Topps Archives Robin Yount


The Topps Archives set also features several players from the past throughout the set.  Names like Musial, Ted Williams, and Jackie Robinson are common historical cards in Topps sets and again make appearances in this new release.  While I like that Topps incorporates a little bit of history into the base set of Archives I really like the cards that fit the original era of the cards.  For example, as a Cardinals fan I love that Musial is in the set and featured in the 1990 designed part of the set.  However, cards like this Robin Yount and the Reggie Jackson below seem to fit the card design a little better since the players where active during the actual release of the original set.  


2013 Topps Archives Reggie Jackson 

Overall, I think that the 1982 design is my favorite in the set.  While I started collecting cards in 1983 and missed the 1982 cards as a kid, I have assembled the set (several times) as an adult collector and I really enjoy the cards.  My favorite two cards in the 1982 design are the Shelby Miller "rookie card" and this cool Reggie Jackson which is actually similar to the 1982 Topps Traded Reggie Jackson card.  Mr. October actually is pictured on the Yankees in the base set, but the traded set featured Jackson in his Angels digs sporting his tinted glasses.  


2013 Topps Archives Chris Davis 

Lastly there is the 1972 designed cards.  I am kind of indifferent about this set.  I think I have picked up a bunch of the Cardinals cards from this set, but I do not go out of my way for them.  I guess a lot of people like it for the Fisk rookie, but I like the 1971s better for my fun 70s card set. 

Overall, the 2013 Topps Archives base set is a pretty nice looking product.  I like the set designs that Topps put in the product and I like the selection of players they used filling the set with a good mix of current and vintage players.  My one improvement would be to have the vintage players match up a little bit better with the card designs, but I understand that Topps also wants to fit some of classic players into the set that do not necessarily fit into the same time period of as the card designs.  I will be making a follow up post for the Archives set to show of my favorite part of the Archives release.   




No comments:

Post a Comment

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....