Monday, April 18, 2022

Random Ray - 1995 Donruss

If you feed different design elements and characteristics of 1990s base sets into a computer, ran an AI program to design a set of cards based on the input, the result would be the 1995 Donruss set.   

Here is the front of the card. 



What generic 1990s design elements are here? I feel like this is one of those Highlights magazine hidden picture pages. Those were always fun.  

-Shiny, redesigned Donruss logo at the top of the card.  

-A home plate cut out on the front of a baseball card.

-A banner with the team and player name. 

-Random Stars!!! 

-Multiple color photos on the front of the card. 

The overall result of merging all of these design elements onto one card? This is a card that I could really take or leave. To be honest, I picked it out of a box with a large quantity of Ray Lankford cards. Whatever I picked out, I was going to scan and write about.  



It's odd that Ray Lankford has a sliding glove or wrist brace in his back pocket. He usually kept his batting gloves on while he was running the bases, none of those extra base running gizmos. Wonder what is going on there? 

No, idea.  

Back of the card.  



How did Donruss do on the back of the card?  

-Giant team logo. 

-Color photo of player. 

-More banners.  

-More home plate shaped boxes.  

-The stat box is made up of other small boxes.  

My. mind. is. blown.  



Completely amazed.  

I have to work tomorrow, otherwise I would keep typing.  

5 comments:

  1. Best breakdown of 1995 Donruss I've ever read. Then again... it's not often we get to see posts dedicated to 1995 Donruss :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the blog post that the internet has been waiting for.....

      Delete
  2. Hey, I found that 1991 Score NCWA Lankford card that you posted about recently. If you send me your mailing address, I will send it to you once it arrives!

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....