Sunday, February 14, 2021

A Series Of Infrequent Posts

This has been a busy last few weeks.  I have been transitioning from being a virtual school teacher to being a hybrid school teacher.  That means that I am teaching half a class online while also teaching half a class in-person.  There were a lot of rules to follow to set up my classroom and a lot of logistical work to make it so that I can teach both simultaneously, but I think I have it set up well.  

Let's hope.  

After a two week break from this space, I have dedicated a small portion of my Sunday to writing a post about a few of the cards that have shown up during that time.  There are others.  Hopefully, I will get there during the next week.  

My first two cards are from fellow collectors that I have met online.  First up is a Ray Lankford from the 1999 Pacific Private Stick set.  The card is a mini, but the scan is not. 



This card was from Jon at A Penny Sleeve For Your Thoughts.  You can also follow him on Twitter at @pennysleeves.  Great blog, one of my favorite reads.  He found this on the Trading Card Database and thought of me.  Very generous and another reminder that I don't do anything on Trading Card Database, but I should.  

This is a parallel to the base version of the mini.  



The base version had blue backs, the parallels had red backs.  Really nice card that I did not have in my collection.  I will have to send Jon a few cards in return.  Man, I really miss Pacific.  I am 100% positive I write that every time I post one of their cards.  

Next, a few cards that I picked up from a long-time Facebook trading/buying/selling partner.  He always holds onto his Cardinals cards for me.  These cards included an autograph of Cardinals catching prospect Ivan Herrera.  



Sometime last month, I posted an Ivan Herrera autograph out of last year's Bowman's Best.  I always like when non-licensed card manufacturers make cards of catchers with their equipment on.  You can't tell that they have to airbrush all the logos off the card.  

I also picked up two Tink Hence autographs.  He was a two-way player in high school who was committed to play baseball at the University of Arkansas.  The Cardinals drafted him in the second round and offered him enough money to get him to turn pro.  I am not sure its been decided whether the Cardinals are going to develop him as a pitcher or position player.  




A draft card from Panini's Extra Elite.  Nice looking card.  


I also ended up with a copy of his purple Bowman Chrome autograph.  The border looks a little ridiculous with the red Cardinals stuff on the card.  I am excited to see what the Cardinals end up doing with this guy. 

Last card.  A Cardinals player on a non-Cardinals card.  Still a really nice item though.  




Edmonds signs baseball cards as infrequently as I post on this page.  I cannot pass up his cards when I see them at a good price.  

6 comments:

  1. Nice batch of card. Jon's da man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't think I've ever seen an Edmonds autograph. Very cool. As for the hybrid thing... I think we'll be kicking the next school year off with that. Although... I have heard that it would only be the four core subject teachers on campus. Electives and PE would still be 100% distance learning. Not really sure how I feel about that. Hope the rest of your year works out well... and it's not too stressful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My school district has specials/electives as virtual only too. I am not sure why they are doing those classes that way, I am sure that someone far above my pay grade has a reason.

      Delete
  3. Hopefully you teachers will be able to go back to just classroom learning sooner than later, and not have to keep dealing with all of these changes. Also, I never put any thought into it pre-Rona, but after hearing about all of the things that you guys (and gals) have had to deal with over the last year, I'm fully onboard with ya'll getting paid more... much more!

    Oh, and no need to send anything in return (seriously), I was just glad to find a Lankford that you didn't have. Or you can just consider it to be the lamest teaching bonus in the history of teaching bonuses :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ready to be back in pre-Rona world. It is really weird have nine kids on a giant television screen with eight kids sitting in my classroom staring back at them.

      Again, the Lankford card was great! Thank you for your generosity.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....