Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Adding To The Title Wave Of Set Posts.....

I know that there have already been several blog posts in 2019 about different set projects that I am working on at that moment.  It feels like the number is higher than two, but I am going to post a third one today.  It's not only a post about a set project, but it is a brand new set project.  Fresh off the presses.

At some point in December, I sat down and wrote different ideas for set projects I could work this year.  It was a good list and there were several good ideas in a notepad on the desk in my office.  Unfortunately, my two year old daughter colored over all of the pages in purple crayon and ripped out the other pages.  It was a good list, I remember most of it.  The first set on the list was the 1998 Donruss Preferred Title Waves set.

The cards look like this:




It's a die cut insert set.  I have tried to track down on the ratio for these cards, but I do not think that they were very difficult to come across based on the availability of the cards, the price, and the fact that there 30 cards in the set with almost 2000 copies of each card.  That's 60,000 cards.  

I best remember this set as the cards that came in tins.  I think I used to have some hanging around the house, but I am fairly certain they fell victim to a Goodwill run.  Not my picture, but the packaging tins looked like this.....




Thanks Ebay for the picture.  Each tin had a different player on them.  There were different sized and different colored tins, but that's not why I am here.  

There are thirty cards in the set with each card featuring some sort of accomplishment connected to an award or accomplishment of the player on the card.  The card is then serial numbered to the year that the event, or accomplishment took place.  The card at the top celebrates Andres Galarraga winning the 1996 National League Home Run title, so the card has 1996 copies.  

I have a good chunk of the set, but there is really no rhyme or reason to what I own.  I feel like these are cards that I have found in cheapie bins at card shows and the whatnot.  I found a copy of the Manny Ramirez card in a top loader with a $0.50 orange sticker attached.  





The card actually looks like it has been sitting in the sun or something.  Might have to replace this card.  Checklist with the cards I have highlighted red.  


1 Nomar Garciaparra 1997
2 Scott Rolen 1997
3 Roger Clemens 1997
4 Gary Sheffield 1997
5 Jeff Bagwell 1997
6 Cal Ripken, Jr. 1997
7 Frank Thomas 1997
8 Ken Griffey, Jr. 1997
9 Larry Walker 1997
10 Derek Jeter 1996
11 Juan Gonzalez 1996
12 Bernie Williams 1996
13 Andruw Jones 1996
14 Andy Pettitte 1996
15 Ivan Rodriguez 1996
16 Alex Rodriguez 1996
17 Mark McGwire 1996
18 Andres Galarraga 1996
19 Hideo Nomo 1995
20 Mo Vaughn 1995
21 Randy Johnson 1995
22 Chipper Jones 1995
23 Greg Maddux 1995
24 Manny Ramirez 1995
25 Tony Gwynn 1995
26 Albert Belle 1995
27 Kenny Lofton 1995
28 Mike Piazza 1993
29 Paul Molitor 1993
30 Barry Bonds 1993

In all, I have 19 of the 30 cards, which puts me just north of 60% of the set being completed.  I think the biggest challenge in completing this set will be the fact that I need to find a lot of the "big name" players from the late 1990s.  It's going to take some patience to find most of the remaining cards, maybe not Mo Vaughn, at a good price.

For example, there are several copies of the Griffey card floating around on Ebay, almost all of them are around $20 or higher.



and if I just wanted to finish off the set and cross it off the list, I could go buy one of these cards this afternoon.  It would probably be at my house by the weekend.  Same with the other cards I am missing on the checklist.  However, I feel like I am likely going to go the auction route on several of these cards.....




An auctioned copy of the Griffey card.  No, I did not win this one.  I did not even bid, but a difference of $18 is worth a little time to complete this project.  Add in that I am still putting the finishing touches on my Topps Glossy Mail-Ins, and I am going to give myself until April to finish this project off.  

4 comments:

  1. Dang it. Another Gwynn, Maddux, and Frank Thomas I need to track down for my binders. Good thing I'm not a super collector who needs to have every single card produced of each of these guys. But I will be on the lookout for them. Best of luck on the completion of this set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to super collect anybody these days with all the printing plates, color variations. Expensive and time consuming.

      Delete
  2. Donruss Preferred was such a great product, I just wish it wouldn't have taken me fifteen years to realize it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sort of in the same boat. I opened a few packs up back in 1998, nothing serious.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....