Sunday, December 2, 2018

One Ugly Cardinal

Baseball Every Night is holding a little contest with ugly baseball cards.  Seemed like a great topic for a blog post, so regardless of contests I sat down and tried to come up with an ugliest card that I could possibly think of in my collection.  My initial thought was to search my boxes of Bowman Draft, which used to be sort of my bad/terrible photos go-to back when I used to do end of the year posts about the best and worst card products.

Little kids could do a better job airbrushing the photos in Bowman Draft than Topps.

While there are many bad cards in those sets, I decided to look for something that was a little older, and possibly connected to either the Cardinals or Durham Bulls.  There were not very many good choices, err bad looking cards, for bad Durham Bulls cards, but I started shuffling through my 1980s Cardinals cards and ran across a card that wishes it was airbrushed as well as a card in a Bowman Draft set.

My ugliest Cardinals card.  I think.




I kept looking for Greg Minton in a Cardinals uniform, this is as close as I got.

This is from the 1984 Topps Traded set. Ken Dayley is a Brave in the regular 1984 set.  I am not sure where the Braves did Spring Training during the 1980s, but this background with the pinkish seats seems to pop up in a lot on their cards from this era.  So, clearly a Braves picture with some beyond terrible photo editing.

It looks like they even airbrushed his face for some reason.  He's pretty tanish/orangish.  

To their credit, Topps was probably using the Paint app on an old Macintosh to change over Dayley's picture on this card.....



If you liked this post, there are plenty of other bloggers with "Ugly Card" posts in the comment section over at Baseball Every Night.



5 comments:

  1. background on this one is hideous. the hat and face job aren't too pretty either. Petey's having a great contest! I'm loving these entries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an actual Topps card? Yikes, that's an ugly airbrushing job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have done the airbrushing by graphic artists on staff [if there was such a position] rather than manipulated with a computer program.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man. How I wish I could get my hands on one of those original Macs. They're so cool.

    P.S. Yeah... that airbrush job is pretty bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is pretty terrible. In fact I feel a little nauseous. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....