Tuesday, May 26, 2020

One Dozen Local Basketball Cards #1

 Here is the backstory behind these cards.

The first half dozen.  These are cards 1-6 in the 1990-1991 Skybox set.





The second half dozen.  These are cards 7-12 in the 1990-1991 Skybox set.





Here are some questions.  I know more about college basketball than the NBA, feel free to debate the answer to these questions in the space below.  I am not doing research for a basketball card post.  

Best player in this dozen:  Moses Malone.  

Without looking (pinky swear) who went to what college:
Jon Koncak - SMU 
Kenny Smith - UNC 
Doc Rivers - Marquette 
Kevin Willis - Sparty 
Dominique Wilkins - Georgia 
Spud Webb - NC State 

I do not know the rest.  After I am done typing, I am going and looking up Moses Malone.  

Best Card Front: Kevin Willis 

Best Card Back: Dominque Wilkins.  Would that be considered a turtleneck?  

Best Cameo: I don't know any of the players in the backgrounds of these cards, but there are some good ones in this set.  The Duane Ferrell card has a Pistons player on it.  I feel like I should know who that is, but I am drawing a blank as to who the forwards were on the team outside of Laimbeer and Rodman.  

Fun Fact: These Skybox cards are the worst Hawks in my collection.  

  

6 comments:

  1. Yeah this design is terrible. Can't help you with the college's but pretty sure James Edwards is the Pistons player in the Ferrell card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to get the player cameos right this week. I should have figured that one out, but my mind when blank on the Pistons players while I was typing the post. Thought of five other Pistons forwards this week besides Laimbeer and Rodman.

      Delete
  2. The only college I knew off the top of my head was Kenny Smith and UNC. Honestly... the only reason I know that is because I followed Tar Heel basketball during the 80's and 90's. Kinda embarrassed that I didn't know Spud's college... since I was pretty into him back in the day. As for Malone... he's one of the first players to skip college and go pro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that about Moses Malone until I went and looked him up. I honestly thought he was going to be a player who went to a small college. Seemed to be much more common back in the 1980s.

      Delete
  3. Moses is definitely the best of the group, with Nique being a distant second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad someone agreed with me. I thought his numbers looked better, but I also know that Wilkins played for a long time after this card was made. Honestly, I was waiting for someone to tell me that was a terrible take.

      Delete

Monday Morning Autograph - Felipe Lopez

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.   T...