Monday, February 18, 2019

Y'all Crazy

Last summer the Cardinals drafted Nolan Gorman in the first round out of some high school in Arizona.  He had a good summer in Johnson City with the Cardinals Rookie Ball team, also spent a few weeks with the Peoria Chiefs in A Ball.  Good year, seriously. 

The first Nolan Gorman cards in a Cardinals uniform, he was in a few USA Baseball sets, came out late in the fall in Bowman Draft.  I really like Nolan Gorman, I hope he becomes a good player, but y'all are crazy. 

Do I want a Nolan Gorman Bowman Draft?  Yes. 

Let's see what people have spent on them.


$675?  The guy is in A Ball.  '



$395.  Speechless.  



$600 Benjamins.  What the hell? 





Listen.  The lawn chairs on my patio are not comfortable enough for me to spend $600 on a baseball card, but if I were going to risk the aftermath of buying one card worth that much money I would go with something from a more proven player. 

Look at what $500 on a Stan Musial card buys you.....




That's quality.  

Still, I did not give up my dream of owning a Nolan Gorman autograph in a Cardinals uniform.  I need to break out the USA Baseball one for a post one of these nights.  In the meantime, this card cost me an Andrew Jackson.....




and I am not sleeping on a lawn chair on my patio tonight.  This is from the Bowman Best set, so I am not sure what makes this card twenty-some dollars and the cards above $500.  I love collecting baseball cards, but somedays I do not understand people. 


12 comments:

  1. I actually LOL'd at this post.

    I don't get prospecting. I can think of ten different things to invest my money in that will have a much better return. To each their own.

    That Musial would be my choice. You KNOW you will get your money back with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Minor League baseball. I love Minor League baseball cards. I don't know how people spend this much on a guy in A Ball. The odds are not in his favor, but I hope he's awesome.

      Delete
  2. This is why I stopped prospecting. Way too rich for my blood. So what if I dont have a Trout blue ref auto or a Judge gold ref auto (anymore)? I'm much happier as a low-end and vintage collector.

    The Bowman's Best Gorman is a nicer card anyway, and a bargain compared to those eBay sales. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to collect players in the Minors when this is what happens to the price of their cards. I just do the best I can, keep my purchases reasonable.

      Delete
  3. The hype (if I had to guess) is centered around Gorman being the first US-born player born in the 21st century (2000) to be drafted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ridiculous if that's the case. He actually had a very good showing last year in Rookie Ball, guessing that has a lot to do with it.

      Delete
  4. just.plain.nuts. When it comes to nuts, I prefer Planters. Musial is hands-down the wiser choice. Hall.Of.Fame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never understood spending that kind of dough on a guy who isn't in Cooperstown or well on his way into Cooperstown. But whatever... it's their money. People should buy what will make them happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can get a Pujols, McGwire, and Musial auto for that price. I am rooting for the kid also, but he most likely will never live up to those prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never going to hold. With that being said, I hope he's in St. Louis sooner than later, and that he's there for a long time.

      Delete

Monday Morning Autograph - Felipe Lopez

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.   T...