Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Wizard of Manus

The stream of 2013 Topps Update cards has slowly begun to flow into my mailbox after a few weeks of holding out and resisting.  I knew it was a matter of time before I found a few cards that I liked and I am slowly coming around.  Slowly.  Late last week I checked out the Manupatch products from the Update set and found some pretty slim pickings and a few weird cards.  One of them was an Ozzie Smith.  I bought the card despite it's oddness.  Let's take a look...


2013 Topps Update Record Holder Rings


I guess the concept behind this set of cards was giving Championship Style rings to some of Major League Baseball's record holders.  I guess the concept seems alright on the surface, but I am not sure I really like the style of the cards.  First, Topps has made other manupatch ring cards in the past and they have been a much higher quality than this card.  The piece of "ring" in the middle of the card feels cheap and undersized compared to past issues.

Second, why break from the award theme started in earlier series of 2013 Topps baseball and make-up cheesy rings to give players.  Topps did Silver Sluggers and MVP awards in Series 1 this year and Rookie of the Year Awards in Series 2.  Why not give out Gold Gloves or Fielding Bibles, more MVPs.  Something cooler than this.

It's been a good year for the Manupatches in the 2013 Topps cards, but the Record Holders cards are a little bit of a let down at the end of the year.  I am not going to turn down many Ozzie Smith cards, but this card would be awesome with a giant metal Gold Glove attached in place of the slightly crooked thin cheap ring currently there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....