Monday, May 23, 2016

A Venerable Old Card Part 14

Pretty excited to post this card.  Back in the mid 1980s, being a Cardinals fan, meant that you sort of watched a different style of baseball.  Whiteyball, named after manager Whitey Herzog, involved playing good defense and putting pressure on teams by using speed.  Everyone on the Cardinals, minus Jack Clark and whoever was catching, stole bases.  The biggest base stealer though was left fielder Vince Coleman.

Where did Vince Coleman come from?  Not exactly a huge prospect, but he showed up at the beginning of the 1985 season and started stealing bases.  During his first three seasons in the Majors Coleman totaled more than 100 steals each season.  Made Coleman a pretty popular player.





Needless to say, as a card collector, there was no cool card in 1986 than his Topps rookie card.  All I wanted out of my weekly packs of baseball cards was a copy of his rookie card.  At some point that summer I finally pulled one, but it took a little bit of patience.

Years later I still really like the 1986 Topps Vince Coleman rookie.  After a slow second half of his career and the whole firecracker thing, the card has lost a little bit of luster in general.  Anyway, I was strolling the internet last week and saw that the Topps Vault had the photo negative for his Topps Super.  It's just like his 1986 Topps rookie card, but in 5x7 sized card.  Needless to say, I decided that this was a worthy card...



4 comments:

  1. Sweet card. I totally jumped on the VC bandwagon back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good bandwagon to jump on until he went to the Mets.

      Delete
  2. nice pick up. Though it freaks me out a little. He looks like a ghost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. The negative cards are a little weird looking.

      Delete

Monday Morning Autograph - Felipe Lopez

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.   T...