Monday, September 21, 2020

A 1980s Card Part 53 - 1987 K-Mart Lou Brock 25th Anniversary

I already used one of these K-Mart cards in a 1980s Card Post, but this is my favorite 1980s Lou Brock baseball card.  Such a great looking card, felt like it would be a good to post after Lou passed away recently.  There are not too many 1980s cards of the Cardinals Hall of Famer, with most being oddballs from TCMA or similar companies.   

Here is the front of the card.  




Great portrait photo on the front of the card.

The palm trees in background, really high probability that this was a Spring Training card from the 1960s. The Cardinals were still wearing button up jerseys.  There are not perfectly white either.  I am going to guess this is from the late 1960s.

Going beyond the 1980 Lou Brock cards, looking through a few stacks of my modern cards of the Cardinals great, this is one of the better overall portrait photos of him out there.  

Card back.  




The little bulleted lists at the top of this card save it from complete disaster.  Feels weird to make a card of a player like Lou Brock and not include stolen bases as one of the stats displayed on the card.  Whatever person designed this card really did a good job with that list to save the card from the stats listed below.  

2 comments:

  1. Wasn't a fan of the Kmart sets back when I was a kid, but at the same time I based my opinion on the 1982 set. The 1987 is much nicer with the white cardstock. I also like how they focused on a specific decade. Cool card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't collect any of these types of sets that were tied to retail stores when I was kid, but I pick these up all the time now. This KMart set is one of my favorites.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....