Sunday, August 9, 2020

Now, Baseball Cards

 I am still catching up on the new cards that I have added to my collection over the past two weeks.  I am also juggling catching up on my out going mail, nap time for my daughter, and finishing up a project for work that I have stared at for far too long.  Just two cards for this post, keeping it short.  They are great cards though.  

I figured the baseball season was going to be short.  I am honestly surprised that we have made it this far into the season.  Although, my Cardinals should probably be disqualified after the past week and a half.  Not many highlights for me so far this year with no Minor League season, and now no Cardinals.  

I did manage to find two Topps Now cards that featured two pretty memorable highlights from the season.  So, with no Durham Bulls and no Cardinals, I am looking elsewhere.    

First, is the card of Dr. Fauci from his first pitch in the season opener between the Nationals and Yankees.  

I believe this had the largest print run of any Topps Now card ever.  Something like 50,000 copies were made.  Similar to the Project 2020 cards, these have been selling for pretty unreasonable sums of money on Ebay.  I like the picture in the card.  While it was not the best first pitch, it was still pretty memorable considering the circumstances.  

The next card is actually from the Giants exhibition games against the A's.  

This is commemorating Alyssa Nakken becoming the first women to coach in an MLB game.  She has actually been working for the Giants for several years, but had never taken the field in uniform in previous years.  Apparently, teams can hire as many coaches as they choose, but can only have seven in the dugout for the game.  I learned that a few weeks back after this game.  Considering other sports have female assistant coaches and referees, it's probably time for Major League to catch up with the times. 

2 comments:

  1. Not into Topps Now... but I probably would have picked up copies of bot othese had I been on their site when they were being offered.

    ReplyDelete

2024 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 7

This is the ninety-seventh Blake Snell autograph in my collection and definitely the first with the word "Pentamerous" on the fron...