Monday, August 31, 2020

Mr. Padre

 It's been a few weeks since I have posted a Project 2020 card.  Nothing has caught my eye recently, but I got a card in the mail that I ordered earlier in the summer.  Just took a little while for it to show up in the mail.  I think some of the Project 2020 "investment" guys are dragging their feet on mailing at cards from razor thin profit.  Still thousandaires.  

Big fan of the art of this card though.  

Mr. Padre.  


I am not sure that this scan even does the card justice.  It pains me to scan cards in one-touch cases sometimes.  Looks really scratchy.  Love the art work combined with the two pictures off of the original Topps Tony Gwynn rookie card. 

A picture of the original card.  


The color scheme with the dark brown and orange is probably the most eye-catching and appealing aspect of my newest Project 2020 card.  I also like the palm trees and the border design.   The patterned border seems to be a feature on a lot of the cards from this artist.  More on him in a minute.  The "Mr. Padre" title at the top is also nice, I just wish the color of the font matched the rest of the card a little better.  

Back of the card.  


Love that old Padres logo in the corner.  Feels like that might be older than the 1983 Topps card.  There is also a biography for the artist, who has a background in painting murals.  He's got some nice looking art up in a few different places online.  

6 comments:

  1. Efdot is the best of the Project 2020 lot. I like this one and I am so over Tony Gwynn cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Efdot and Sophia Chang are my two favorites. Gwynn is a lovable player, kind of transcends fan bases, but I could a Dodgers person getting tired of him.

      Delete
  2. I like this one a lot. Hope it's as nice in hand as the pictures are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I look at it, the more I think it might actually be my favorite Project 2020 card.

      Delete
  3. Nice Gwynn. I thought about grabbing a copy. I actually think about picking up every Gwynn they release, but so far I've only purchased one. Glad to see Topps is starting to roll out these Project 2020 cards again. Maybe mine will arrive before my COMC order.

    P.S. If they ever produce a scanner that can scan graded cards or cards sealed in a magnetic cleanly... I'd be the first in line to buy one (assuming it was within my budget).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been waiting on a large COMC order since May. I kind of regret doing it, but also am trying to spend money and support small business right now. There is a stack of broken computers at my school that I always go through and use to make extra working computers. Stuff like two laptops, one has a bad processor, and the other has a bad screen. Put them together, you've got a computer. I am waiting for the day when there are some scanners on there. I have ideas, but I am not going to try using my own scanner.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....