Friday, May 1, 2020

Jubilant Cards

In my hunt for a few new Durham Bulls cards last fall, I ran across a Johnny Vander Meer card that was out of the 1976 Laughlin Diamond Jubilee set.  I did not know much about the cards when I found it, just really liked the looks of the card.  




Robert Laughlin made all sorts of cards during the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s.  Most of his sets are drawings or cartoons.  I actually found another Laughlin card in my collection after picking up the Vander Meer.  I am not sure when I got this card exactly, but it was probably in the last couple of years.  




This is from the 1971 Laughlin World Series set.  I am sure I own this card because of Jack Coombs, who was the long time baseball coach at Duke. Their on-campus baseball stadium is named after him.  His cards are quite pricey, so I only own oddballs of him that are typically inexpensive.  

So, back to the Jubilee cards.  I liked the Vander Meer card enough that I have been watching a few of these on Ebay, COMC, and a few other places.  I actually ended up picking up two of the cards last week.  It's only a 32 card set, so maybe this will be a project that I take on for the summer.  

This is one of the cards I was most interested in finding from the set.  




This is the only Cardinals card in the set.  Seems like in the 100 years of the National League there would be some other notable accomplishment by a Cardinals player that would be worthy of a card, but this was a recent event at the time this set was made.  I get it.  




This was my second card.  Pretty cool drawing of Brooks Robinson diving to stop a ball.  I did a little research to see if this is a specific event, or just the way that Laughlin choose to draw Brooks Robinson.  The answer is.......



The correct answer is Game 5 of the 1970 World Series against the Reds.  

I like both of these cards, and am looking forward to finding the other 29 cards that I have left to complete this set.  


6 comments:

  1. Interesting set, and congrats on finding the matching photo! This is definitely one of those sets though where it's good to have the internet, because trying to find them in person would probably be darn near impossible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really hard to find outside of Ebay and COMC. Not a big set, but it is going to take awhile to put together.

      Delete
  2. I'm familiar with Laughlin's work on the back of Fleer stickers, but have never seen this Diamond Jubilee set. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are my favorite cards of Laughlin. He also has a good Negro League set I have thought about working on.

      Delete
  3. Love those Laughlin Diamond Jubilee cards! I've got the Nate Colbert one. Wouldn't mind chasing down the rest someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got one of those on radar right now. Can't go wrong with 1970s Padres cards.

      Delete

2024 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 7

This is the ninety-seventh Blake Snell autograph in my collection and definitely the first with the word "Pentamerous" on the fron...