Monday, April 27, 2020

A 1980s Card Part 40 - 1987 Mini League Leader Danny Cox

I am a big fan of mini cards.  Sometimes I feel like that they might be unrepresented in my 1980s Cardinals collection, until I actually spend a little time flipping through my collection.  There are plenty of Cardinals minis from the 1980s.  I especially like the League Leader sets that Topps put out during the second half of the decade. 

The front of the card has some similar design elements of the Topps base set.  Not exact, but close. 



The wood grain is there on this 1987 Topps Mini League Leaders card, but the inside of the wood frame is a completely different design.  I know a lot of people like the 1987 Topps, and consider it one of the great base set designs. 

It's not. 

Here is the regular Topps Danny Cox card. 



I like the front of the Minis better.  Both the design and the action photo.  

The back of the Mini League Leaders is also different than the base set.  The cards only focus on a single stat, and show where the player ranked in their league.  Danny Cox was a League Leader in complete games.  




Tied for fifth with 8.  I am pretty sure that 8 complete games in a season nowadays would lead the league by five or six complete games.  I wish that they gave the other league rankings on the back of the card in a similar fashion as the featured stat.  That's a pretty big space.  Topps couldn't fit another bullet point in there with a "ERA #6 2.90"?  I think it would look a little nicer.  Still, a good card though.  I need to pull out my Jose DeLeon League Leaders card next week. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Seeing your 1987 Topps Mini League Leader card of Cox sure brought back memories. I honestly didn't like them too much back in the day. But I picked up some boxes about 10 years ago either at the flea market or at a show and built a collection of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want to see some of the other designs...

      https://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2012/10/i-love-80s-11-topps-mini-leaders.html

      Delete

2024 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 7

This is the ninety-seventh Blake Snell autograph in my collection and definitely the first with the word "Pentamerous" on the fron...