Monday, April 6, 2020

A 1980s Card Part 38 - 1982 Donruss Diamond Kings George Hendrick

I am making a weekly post about the 1980s Cardinals cards in my collection, and I have made it almost a year without once writing about a Diamond Kings card?  My bad.  I definitely need to improve the ratio a bit while I have some time at home.  A Diamond King heavy post is coming this weekend, but until then I have this George Hendrick card to offer you. 




Let's get a little housekeeping out of the way in regards to my copy.  It's horribly off-center.  Let's move on to some other aspects of the card. 

The best thing about this card is the fact that Dick Perez, the artist of the Diamond King series, made the picture of Hendrick wearing a jacket underneath his uniform.  George was a big fan of the red satin Cardinals jackets.  Take out your George Hendrick cards, flip through them, and there are more cards with Hendrick wearing a red jacket than those without one. 

His base card in the 1982 Donruss set?  Red jacket. 




Newer cards? Red jacket.  



Older Cards?  Red jacket. 




Game cards?  Red jacket. 




All-Star cards?  Red jacket.  




Most people who watched baseball in the 1980s probably remember George best for wearing his pants all the way down to the tops of his shoes.  That was sort of his trademark fashion statement at the time.  Here he is in the 1982 World Series, barely any sock showing in this picture.  





A rarity in those days.  The pants and socks on Hendrick are my one criticism of Perez's artwork for this Hendrick card.  Clearly too much sock in the picture.  Blown up a little bit below.  




The back of the card is typical of the Diamond Kings, which usually featured a blurb about the player rather than any sort of stats.  The back is off-center to match the front. 




Nice little run down on George Hendrick.  I thought those home run and RBI numbers looked a little low at first, but I remembered that the 1981 season was shortened due to a strike.  So, 18 home runs and 61 RBIs in just 100 games is actually a pretty good clip.  In fact, Hendrick was in the top 10 in both categories in the National League.  

Good song from 1982?  

Duran Duran.  



2 comments:

  1. Hendrick sure loved that red jacket. Topps should track one down and turn it into a relic card.

    P.S. Looking forward to reading your DK post.
    P.S. #2 I loved Duran Duran when I was a kid. I remember my friends and I rented the Girls on Film video and watched it over and over, because it had nudity in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Diamond Kings post is going to be good. I am excited to post it this weekend. I can't remember the set, I need to look back through my relic boxes, but some card company in the early 2000s made a jacket swatch. I own one, just can't remember who. It's not George Hendrick.

      Delete

Monday Morning Autograph - Felipe Lopez

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.   T...