Sunday, March 1, 2020

A 1980s Card Part 35 - 1982 Donruss "Phil" Roof

Phil Roof was a catcher for the Twins and A's during the 1960s and 1970s.  Almost his entire career was spent as a backup catcher, and had the sweet nickname of the "Duke of Paducah".  Phil also had a younger brother who played baseball.  There were almost 17 years difference between the two brothers.  Gene was born in 1958, and Phil made his Major League debut in 1960. 



I did not think I had a Phil Roof card, but after some digging I found him on a 1967 Topps card with the Kansas City A's.  Great card.  The catchers glove and Kansas City A's uniform are the main highlights in my book.  Likely the reason the card is in my collection. 

By the time Gene made his debut with the Cardinals in 1981, Phil was 40 and out of baseball.  Donruss managed to turn Gene's rookie card in their 1982 set, into a Phil Roof card. 





Remarkable considering that Donruss was not around while Phil Roof was playing.  There have been plenty of brother combos in the majors, along with fathers and sons, but I am not sure if I can think of any other cards where their names or pictures are switch around. 

Unless Juan LeBron and Carlos Beltran were brothers. 





Seems unlikely. 

6 comments:

  1. I wonder if Gene still gives Phil a hard time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. not sure i knew about the gene/phil roof mixup in 1982 donruss. along those lines, i have an upper deck adam laroche autograph card with andy laroche's photo on it.

    https://garveyceyrusselllopes.blogspot.com/2009/02/2009-upper-deck-4-pack-purchase-with.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a cool one. I had never seen these. I will file that away up top.

      Delete
  3. Wow. Great piece of hobby trivia. Don't remember ever reading or hearing about this mess up... but it's a classic.

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....