Thursday, February 6, 2020

Cards I Love Part 6- 2012 Topps Skip Schumaker

I really hate gimmicky variations and short prints that Topps stuffs inside of their flagship set. I think there might be a few stat variations of Cardinals and former Durham Bulls in my collection, but I generally avoid the whole scene.  No super shorts prints, photo variations, sparkles, or any of that stuff really interests me.  I decided to make an exception though for the 2012 Topps Skip Schumaker "Rally Squirrel" card.

The Rally Squirrel showed up during Game 4 of the National League Division Series.  Skip Schumaker was batting against Roy Oswalt at the time.






The 2011 Postseason was incredible to watch.  It felt like a bonus that they were even in the playoffs at first, then they started winning.  Each round got a little better.  Still hard to believe they won.  The final games of the World Series were emotionally and physically draining.  After staying up who knows how long to watch the end of Game 6, I am not sure I have ever gone to work that tired before.  A quick power nap though, and I was ready to go for Game 7.  





Easily my favorite modern Cardinals team.  

It took me a awhile to land a copy of the Rally Squirrel card.  It is a short short print, and copies of the card sold for hundreds of dollars when the set was initially released.  At some point towards the end of 2012 I ended up with a copy of the card.  The Rally Squirrel is favorite Cardinals cards that is connected to one of their Postseason teams.  It's definitely one of a kind.   

Here is the card.  




I can look at the picture on the front of the card all day long.  It's a great photograph.  There are copies of this picture floating around online, and I have seriously considered buying an 8 x 10 copy, getting Skip Schumaker to autograph it, and hanging it on the wall in my baseball card room.  I love how the squirrel is not touching the ground.  

Overall, I it's in my top 5 modern Cardinals cards.  The greatest?  I like a few of the Pujols rookies more, but that's saying something to produce a Skip Schumaker card that a Cardinals collector puts on that high of a pedestal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....