Friday, February 21, 2020

Cards I Love Part 20 - 2001 Topps Update Chrome Albert Pujols

I have never really loved the design of the 2001 Topps set.  Green borders?  There are other years with worse designs, but it is definitely in the bottom half of my favorite Topps sets of all-time.  I am willing to overlook the green border in the case of an Albert Pujols card that was included in the Topps Update set in 2001. That would be the Chrome parallel card.  The Chrome cards were two or three per pack, not sure about the exact ratio, but I pulled this card in 2001.  

Shout out to the Sports Card Dugout in Webster Groves, Missouri for selling me the box. 



The green on the Chrome cards looks a little different, and the shine on the finish of the cards makes the gold printing pop a little more.  Here is the regular Topps Update Pujols rookie card.  




You can see the differences in the green and gold coloring on the card.  I know a lot of people who like the regular Topps Update card, but for me the darker green and gold looks a little sharper.  

The Topps Update Chrome is a pretty easy choice as my favorite Topps rookie card of Pujols, and my second favorite overall behind his Bowman Heritage card.  I know they are really the same company, different brands though.  I also really like the picture showing Pujols batting.  His stance is really easy to recognize, and Topps did a good job of capturing it on his rookie card.  

The coloring on the regular Update card bothers me enough that I actually put his eTopps card ahead of it as my second favorite Topps Pujols rookie card.  




More Pujols cards this weekend.  

1 comment:

  1. I commented yesterday that the Fleer Tradition was my only Pujols rookie card. I forgot that I actually picked up a copy of this card last year. Beautiful card. Reminds me of late 90's Gold Label.

    ReplyDelete

2024 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 7

This is the ninety-seventh Blake Snell autograph in my collection and definitely the first with the word "Pentamerous" on the fron...