Friday, January 24, 2020

Sorting Post Take 2: The Originals

I started collecting cards as a 6 year old in 1983.  My first packs of cards were 1983 Fleer cards, with my first card being Pirates shortstop Jimmy Smith.  I still have the card, it's in great condition.



In fact, I have most of my "original" cards.  In my work to reorganize my cards into sets, most of them have failed to make the cut.  With most of the sets that I collected the before the age of 10, I have revisited the product at some point, and have other copies of all the cards.  Nice copies of the cards, with sharp corners.  Cards that haven't been handled by a 6, 7, or 8 year old. Needless to say,  while sorting out into sets, I picked out the best looking copy of each card.  All the other duplicates ended up in boxes of doubles.

While I have traded and given away loads of duplicate cards, and plan to do more in the future, the original cards have not gone anywhere.  At first, the originals were sorted in with the rest of my duplicates.  Since, I have changed directions and sorted them out into their own boxes.  I plan on putting them together into their own sets.

The originals that are not sorted out yet are in large boxes.



The sets in this box include several different span several different years and brands.   




A whole bunch of 1985 Topps cards, 


some 1984s Topps,  



 and also a few 1987 Topps.  Although the 1987 Topps stack seems a little light.

I also have a bunch of cards from the years just before I started collected that I also consider apart of my originals.  Most of them were bought in common lots from an antique market when I first started collecting.



Many random late 1970s and early 1980s Fleer and Topps cards.  Nothing that comes close to making a set, but still deserve a space with my other cards from this time.

There are several different sets that I collected from the early 1980s where I have been able to sort the cards out into their own organized box.  These are my 1983 Topps cards.




Labels.  

I am kind of excited to see how these will look when I have them all sorted out into their own boxes.  It has been fun to flip back through these cards and look at them again.  So many great cards, and you can tell that the six and seven year old version of me really enjoyed these cards.  



Loads of cards with soft corners and soft edges.  


Cards with crinkles and bends.  


I am not even sure what happened to my original Topps Eric Davis rookie card. 

Regardless of condition, I am excited to see all of the original cards in my collection sorted into these sets.  Since I have always sorted by team, this will be just about the first time that some of these cards have been together in the same box.  They should be fun to look at, and definitely plan on doing some more posts on these cards.

1 comment:

  1. How fun. I still have a 1988 Fleer Minnesota Twins team set that my grandparents gave me when I was young. They are in horrible condition, but I enjoyed looking at them a lot (and still do).

    ReplyDelete

45 To Go

I am excited about my latest pick up for the Red Man Tobacco set I am attempting to assemble. As you can imagine, there are quite a few Hall...