Sunday, January 5, 2020

I Hate What People Have Done To The Word Ridiculous

I hate what people have done to the word ridiculous.

I use the word often.  Other people use the word often.  We are often ships passing in the night.  Ridiculous people have slowly changed what many people think the word ridiculous actually means.

Definition.

Sadly, many sports people misuse the word.  Take this video clip of my beloved Wolfpack playing basketball.  This is a really incredible lay-up.  The spin off the glass is spectacular.



It is not ridiculous.  It's ridiculous that the NC State team shown in the video had a deep and talented roster, but only managed to win five conference games.  

Sadly, it's not just sports people who no longer use the word correctly.  Last year I was having a discussion with people about Kelly Clarkson, and a work event relating to Kelly Clarkson.  The event was ridiculous.  Kelly Clarkson is ridiculous.  The response was ridiculously about how much people love a certain Kelly Clarkson video.  This is the worst video ever.  




The Princess Diaries?  Ridiculous.  

How does this relate to baseball cards?  

I have been on a quest to find cards of Southeast Missouri State alumni Joey Lucchesi over the past two years.  There have been many successful days where I have been able to convince people to trade or sell me their cards of the Padres starting pitcher.  I think this 2018 Bowman Chrome autograph is my favorite find so far.  




I have also been trying to track down a copy of his 2018 Topps Update autograph that is on a card with a 1983 Topps design.  I already have the "base" card, or non-autographed version that I posted at some point last fall.  Here is the card.




For the longest time, there was only one copy of the card for sale on Ebay.  It had a "Buy It Now" of $35 on it, but you could submit offers.  I tried several times.  I was always given this excuse repeatedly:

"Joey Lucchesi was the first player from the 2016 Draft to reach the Major Leagues.  I think the price is a ridiculously good deal.  He's going to be a good player." 

The price was stuck at $35.  Ridiculously good deal.  First player in the draft to reach the Majors.  



I completely ignored the card, the seller, and the whole ridiculous situation.  A 10-10 record later,  a year of space, and I found a copy of the card for $5.  An incredible deal.  Here is my scan, which is ridiculously crooked.  




Maybe ridiculous is too far, maybe more along the lines of slightly crooked.  I scanned the back of the card too.  I did a much better job.  





Oh, look at the fact under the stat line.  It's ridiculous that the Ebay seller from last year could not come up with a better reason for selling this card for $35.  

Hopefully people will use the word ridiculous in a more responsible way, or I am going to start using the word cockamamie in its place.  

2 comments:

  1. I use the word ridiculous on a pretty regular basis... and I'm pretty sure I use it correctly. But I have used adjectives like "insane" and "sick" to describe pulls, so I'm no completely innocent.

    P.S. I don't own any Kelly Clarkson CD's or anything... but I do like that song and one or two others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use words incorrectly all the time. I am just worried about ridiculous. I fully support your misuse of insane and sick. Carry on.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....