Sunday, December 1, 2019

No Joey Fuego?

I wrote a little bit a few weeks back about the disappearance of the nickname cards in the Triple Threads product.  Always a highlight for me during the year, the absence of the nicknames has made me a little less likely to collect these cards.  Just a refresher, but they looked like this:



So, after adding my Snell autograph, I went back and did a little work on a second player from Triple Threads trying to add a few cards of Padres pitcher Joey Lucchesi, or Joey Fuego to those who follow his career.  I like the nickname.  It's catchy.  I am also not sure it's very apt considering he is a lot of deception mixed in with some breaking pitches. 



I have followed Joey's career since he was at Southeast Missouri and have been collecting his cards since he was first drafted by the Padres.  He's not a player I would have guessed to appear in Triple Threads, but I am not going to complain. 

Here is the card. 



Yep, no Joey Fuego.  We have this gem instead.  Why did Topps pick this phrase for his Triple Threads card?  



There you go. 

Chris Sale, Jordan Zimmerman, Clayton Kershaw, and Joey Lucchesi. 

There are other Joey Lucchesi cards from Triple Threads.  One is above average, so I might have to find that card.  Maybe, maybe not. 

4 comments:

  1. Surprised to see Zimmermann on that list. He was pretty bad this past season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all shaky math. Zimmerman did not make a full season worth of starts, and he is just over 130 innings pitched. Lucchesi too, combined with the fact that he did not pitch deep into games. Sale and Kershaw did not give up many baserunners, but that has little to do with their innings, and more to do with the fact that batters did not get on base.

      Delete
  2. Not being overly familiar with these, I can't help but wonder if this was the longest phrase that Topps used, as it seems like there wouldn't be room for too much more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question. I have a ton of these laying around, I should figure out the one with the longest phrase/saying/nickname

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....