Sunday, December 15, 2019

Done With Bowman Draft

Long ago I used to pick on Bowman Draft for it's poor photoshopping.  The pictures were terrible.  Some of the cards looked like something that a little kid could do on photoshop.  There were all kinds of misfires.  Here are a few:

Your pixels are showing......




Horribly out of proportion......



Players who are still wearing half of their college baseball uniforms.




Luke Weaver went to Florida State.  The Cardinals do not wear maroon.  Richie Shaffer went to Clemson his wrist bands and batting gloves are orange and purple.  Even when they got the uniforms right, they missed so many other details.  

Luckily, the good people at Topps have cleaned up Bowman Draft a little bit.  Still, I am avoiding the product.  Prospecting is always a big thing in baseball cards.  It is not very cost efficient though, especially given that I am just finding the cards of the Cardinals prospects, and some of the players I watched while they were in college.  

This year I have been looking for Will Wilson cards.  The Angels drafted him out of NC State in the middle of the first round.  




Wilson was recently traded to the Giants.  Topps put him into Bowman Draft.  I have had little trouble finding his base cards and a few of the variations at little cost.  Wilson also signed cards for Bowman Draft.  That's a different story.  




I like collecting former NC State players, but anything that is in the three digit range on Will Wilson is a little much.  Especially given that the card shows Wilson in an NC State uniform photoshopped into an Angels uniform.  The green wall, orange line, and black billboards are all too familiar.  




Luckily, there are other options out there.  I still was able to find a Will Wilson autograph, it is actually in an NC State uniform, and it literally cost a fraction of the Bowman Draft card.  I have already ignored most of the Bowman Draft cards in recent years, but I might be done after this year.  




In the past I have spent time bashing Panini for not have a MLB license, and making cards that have all of the logos airbrushed off.  However, they really do a great job with the NCAA license.  Even if the Bowman Draft autographed card of Will Wilson were more affordable, I would have still picked up this Panini Contenders card of him, and probably would have preferred it over the other.  

1 comment:

  1. I've never spent a lot of money ripping Bowman packs or boxes. But I have been picking up 1st Bowman cards of players I like. Lol. Yeah, I jumped on the bandwagon. Anyways... you've got some serious sharp eyes. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....