Monday, April 15, 2019

I Love The 1990s Cardinals Part 73 - Jose Oliva

Since it is Jackie Robinson Day, I thought I would do the last Cardinals player who wore 42 prior to Major League Baseball retiring the number across the game. The Cardinals would later retire 42 a second time for Hall of Fame reliever Bruce Sutter.  



The last player to wear 42 prior to Jackie Robinson Day in 1997 was Jose Oliva, who has no relationship to Tony Oliva.  He played for the Braves in 1994 and 1995, before he was traded to the Cardinals in August of 1995.  The Cardinals stuck him at third base for a few games the last few weeks of the season.  Oliva hit .122 with 2 home runs in almost 100 at bats during his time with the Cardinals.  

The brief stint earned Oliva a few cards in 1996.  I have three of them, I know I am missing one or two.  My favorite is his 1996 Collector's Choice.  



It's a simple card with him looking at the third base coach, or something like that.  You can see the 42 on the front of his jersey.  By the far the best picture on any of his Cardinals cards.  

Next.  



This is my least favorite card of Oliva.  Who puts a check swing on a baseball card?  Donruss.  Did I mention they went bankrupt?  It feels a little lazy to make a card of a player with this type of action shot.  I'd rather take the Collector's Choice card above where he is just looking at the coach.  

Last.  



This card has a lot of potential.  I want to like it more than the Collectors Choice.  The photo is clearly taken in Wrigley Field, but I don't love that the ivy walls in the background are blurry.  I thought the picture of Oliva might actually be airbrushed.  He did play a game with the Cardinals against the Cubs in Wrigley, but his hat looks off.  Still think this might be a Braves picture that was airbrushed.  

Oliva played in the Cardinals Minor League system during the 1996 season, and was out of professional baseball in 1997.  He was killed in a car accident in December of 1997.  




Here is the 42 on the outfield wall of Busch Stadium.  


1 comment:

  1. Don't remember Oliva... but it's sad to hear that he died in a car accident. On a positive note... your post inspired me to look up the last Oakland Athletic to wear #42. The answer to this trivia question is... Buddy Groom.

    ReplyDelete

2024 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 7

This is the ninety-seventh Blake Snell autograph in my collection and definitely the first with the word "Pentamerous" on the fron...