Monday, March 25, 2019

I Love The 1990s Cardinals Part 70- 1999 Topps Mark McGwire Home Run Card

I am just doing one card this week, but it's actually 70 different cards.  Confusing, yes.  If you collected cards in the late 1990s, you will likely remember this card.  At the time the 1999 Topps set came out towards the end of 1998, the Mark McGwire home run cards were highly sought after, and could be expensive depending on the number.  I tried to pick up a few here and there, but did not really gain any traction towards putting the set together. 

I started off going for home runs that I saw in person.  I went to a Cardinals game for my 21st birthday and saw him hit a home run off of Mark Langston.  



and the then the back of the card gives the date, pitcher, and distance of the home run.  




It also gives the location.  



This game was ridiculously cold.  


In fact, of the cards that I own in this set, most of them have a matching ticket stub somewhere in my closet of baseball card stuff..  




So, they are just randomly numbered cards between 1 and 70.  I also own a few of the Topps Chrome versions of these cards.  Again, home runs that I saw in person.  




The only really significant milestone card that I own out of this set is the number 62 card, which was the first version that I pulled out of a pack in late 1998.  I did not sell it, nor trade it.  I wished it would have been 70.    




It's a home run that I did not actually see in person though.  

I saw 60.  




I saw 61.  



I saw 70.  



I do not own those variations to this card.  Well, unless you count the Topps Super Chrome card.  



There were not actually any variations on the Super Chrome, which are oversized cards, or the Opening Day cards.  Topps only made a 70 card for those two sets, which is the only way that I have a 70 card. 

Maybe someday this should be some sort of project on here.  It would probably take a year or two, but it might be fun.  I am going to put it at the bottom of my list of things to do.  

5 comments:

  1. It would be interesting to know just how many collector's have actually built these sets, then, and now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have to be a few out there. Guessing the interest in this set is not very high anymore, but I bet a few people put them together back in the day.

      Delete
  2. Don't have a lot of these anymore. I traded most of the ones I pulled to guys who were putting together the complete run of cards. Not sure if they finished it though. My guess is now that we're in the internet era, it might be a little challenging... but definitely doable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think finding a 70 would be the tough, I bet the rest are pretty easy to find if you did it over a year. Maybe two.

      Delete
  3. I have about 20 of them

    ReplyDelete

Monday Morning Autograph - Felipe Lopez

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.   T...