Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Got One Of Them Hot Boxes



I bought baseball cards at Target.  Not a real common occurrence, but I am usually at least willing to walk past the card aisle and see what is there.  I think about it for a few minutes. 

There is the "Remember you pulled an Al Kaline autograph out of a $20 box here once"



There is also the "Isn't this the store where some jerk slit the top of a pack of cards we bought?"




If I do decided to buy cards, I now make sure the packs are sealed, or the box is not wrapped in Glad Food Wrap or something.  

On with the story.  

Now, if you have never heard of a hot box, they are sort of a mythological creature in the world of baseball cards.  I liken the hot box to things like....




The chupacabra. 



The Loch Ness monster.  




Bigfoot.  

So, I start opening up my packs of Topps Heritage cards and I get a Chromium looking card of Aaron Judge.  I flip the card over, no serial number.  




Weird, but I am in the middle of opening up packs, so I just set it aside and open the pack.  I get another Chromium looking card of Jose Ramirez.  No serial number.  




At this point I am intrigued, but I am still not going to stop for two of these cards in two packs.  

Then the next pack started out with this card......




and ended with this card......



I knew something was up with the box of cards that I was opening.  I checked out a few different checklist type sites, you should read Cardboard Connections, and I found the answer was indeed something called a "Hot Box".  These aren't just Chromium cards, or Chrome, or whatever you want to call them.  They are some form of purple Chrome.  

I was stunned, so what did I end up?  This is great stuff for a retail box.  I mean, it's not Al Kaline, but for $20 at Target.....








All a very good haul, but I got one other card, which is going to go along way towards putting together this set.  





Hot Box!!!! 








9 comments:

  1. I don't anything about Heritage, or it's hot boxes, but I have to assume that this was a good thing, and something that was well worth your twenty dollars... so congratulations on picking out this loaded box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy with the results for a retail box. Hard to beat these results.

      Delete
  2. Love that Kiermaier. Congrats on a great blaster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tim!!! The Kiermaier is definitely going in with my good Bulls cards.

      Delete
  3. Hot boxes are definitely real and they're definitely in Heritage. I got one off a shelf in a Walmart I very rarely go to back in 2014:

    https://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2014/03/good-things-come-to-those-who-whine-pt-1.html

    Didn't get any Kershaw relic out of it though.

    I also bought an A&G hot box once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I got a hot blaster of Heritage High Numbers a couple years ago. I also had no idea what was going on...might have been the first blaster of Heritage I bought, so I just thought it might be normal. No hits in mine, and the best player I got in purple was Trevor Story.

      Topps should promote this better.

      Delete
    2. Wow. That's quite a box Night Owl.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I didn't even know that retail hot boxes existed although I did know about hot hobby boxes. And you got a Kershaw #'d jersey relic to boot! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize that they existed either. Kershaw card is a great pull for a retail box.

      Delete

2024 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 7

This is the ninety-seventh Blake Snell autograph in my collection and definitely the first with the word "Pentamerous" on the fron...