Sunday, February 17, 2019

One More From 2018

My interest in Tim Beckham cards started a few years back when he played for the Durham Bulls.  He was a former first overall pick, and while he did not seem like a superstar type of player that teams hope to get with the first overall pick, Beckham seemed like a solid everyday player at worst.  There were some good ones out there.....



this card out of Topps Pro Debut was my favorite.  Obvious reasons.  

Somewhere along the line Beckham was suspended for drugs, endured a lot of ridicule for not being Buster Posey, and was eventually traded to the Orioles.  He actually hit well during his first half season in Baltimore, there were more than a few people who were encouraged. 

The sweet Beckham cards started to pop back up last year.  It was sort of a bumper season for his baseball cards.  Bunches of autographs.  These were two of my favorites.....




The year was actually a complete disaster for Beckham and the Orioles on the field.  He did not hit and he struck out a ton.  The Orioles ditched Beckham at the end of the year, set him out to find a new team.  Beckham ended up signing with the Mariners early in January.  

There was one last Beckham card from last year that I really wanted to add, closing out the book on his time with the Orioles.  The card was out of the Triple Threads set, it was a little too expensive for what I would be willing to pay for a Beckham card, when the set first came out.  I hadn't looked at it in awhile, but I checked a few days ago......





and it was in my mailbox yesterday.  

Triple Threads has not changed much over the years, and I feel a little bored with it at this point, but this is a really nice card.  I love the green color on the background, the gold foil is a nice touch too.  Not sure what the future holds for Beckham's cards with the Mariners, but it was a nice 2018.  

4 comments:

  1. That Pro Debut patch is sweet! I've been trying to add one of the San Jose Giant manufactured logo patches to my collection for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen a Kyle Crick card like that, it's out there. Somewhere.

      Delete
    2. Yeah. I've seen it too. Panik has one as well.

      Delete
  2. I have hung around minor league ballparks graphing a lot in the past ten years or so. Of all of the players that I have encountered, Beckham was truly one of the unique ones. His personality and interpersonal skills were atrocious with fans. The only time that he EVER embraced the fans in Durham was after his second drug suspension and he got 50 games. When he came back, he was hugging women and kissing babies for about ten games. He signed every card put in front of him but would never sweet spot a ball. I actually have a signed side panel baseball complete with the chicken grease from the drumstick that he was carrying when I got him. LOL

    ReplyDelete

45 To Go

I am excited about my latest pick up for the Red Man Tobacco set I am attempting to assemble. As you can imagine, there are quite a few Hall...