Friday, February 15, 2019

Lau or Lowe?

One of my favorite Durham Bulls from last season was infielder/outfielder Brandon Lowe.  He was easily the best offensive player on the team for the brief window he played in Durham.  In just 46 games, he ended up hitting 14 home runs, 14 doubles, and 35 RBIs.  The Rays eventually called him up to the Majors.  While his batting average was a little low, he continued to show some pop.  Lowe had 14 extra base hits in less than 150 at bats.  

I have not really talked about Lowe before on my blog.  There are not many cards of him, not many people know him.  In fact, there are just not that many people who talk about him. 

One of the problems seems to be that there is a lot of confusion about how to even say his name.  


Lowe.....





pronounced like Lowe. 





Lowe....




pronounced like Lau.....





Which is correct?  




Lowe like Lau.  

Luckily for me, and other Durham Bulls fans, Topps included Brandon Lowe in their 2019 Topps Series 1 cards.  Better yet, is the fact that they made him one of the 1984 Topps inserts.  Better yet, it's even autographed.  




Nice action shot of him at Fenway Park on the front.  I like the purple name printing and the blue Rays printing on the side.  If the Rays had been a team in 1984, this seems like it might be a pretty good guess at the color combination that would have been used on their cards.  

Back of the card.  



I like the 1984 card backs.  I would love to see some Durham Bulls stats on the back of this card, but I guess Topps has to put this "Congratulations!" thing on the card since it is signed.  I already knew what it was going to say.  

Perhaps Topps will put out a few more Lowe (Lau) cards before the end of the year.  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday Morning Autograph - Felipe Lopez

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.   T...