Tuesday, December 4, 2018

High Tek Iron Man

I really like the Topps Tek cards, but I do not really like the fact that boxes/packs of the cards cost $100.  You do get 40 cards, which is better than some of the box/pack products.  Still not something I would normally touch.  On the other hand, I do like buying the single cards from these products after someone else has gone ahead and spent the $100 to open up the cards.  

The week of Thanksgiving I had a little extra time and managed to sell a few extra cards that were occupying space in my card closet.  Rather than dedicating the earnings to something that was on a checklist waiting to get crossed off, I decided to go out and find the best card I could using the money I had just earned.  

Right around $40.  I think I did alright.  



For less than half the cost for a box of Topps Tek, I landed one of the better autographs that I could have pulled out of a box.  I know, Cal Ripken does not pop up on this blog very often, but I still like him as a baseball player.  One of the likable stars of the game from my younger years.  I would actually like to think that his pursuit of Lou Gehrig's consecutive games streak helped baseball recover after the player's strike in 1994.   

It's an on card autograph and has a very nice signature from the Hall of Fame infielder.  Love the looks of this card.  

I did end up with a second card.  It came from the same seller.  I had a little extra money after bidding on the Ripken card, so why not.  




Do I have a Brian Dozier autograph?  No.  He had a down year in 2018 and ended up getting traded to the Dodgers late in the season.  He's currently a free agent, so no team at the moment.  For a dollar or two, this is a nice card of a second baseman who has had a few 30 and 40 home run seasons.

Really, the important thing is that I got a Cal Ripken autograph.

2 comments:

  1. $40 well spent. Great auto card of the iron man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pickup! His autograph is much more affordable than I thought. Might need to add him to my search list.

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....