Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Sticker Monstrosity

I have been looking into finding a Miles Mikolas autograph since the middle of the summer.  The Cardinals signed him this past off season after the former Padres and Rangers hurler spent a few years playing overseas in Japan.




Not sure everyone was sold on Mikolas helping the Cardinals out too much, but he turned out to be a really good free agent signing.  He ended up winning 18 games with an ERA+ of 137. during his first year back in the States.  Mikolas was arguably the best pitcher on the team last year.  

Mikolas had his first autograph in Allen & Ginter, but that was selling for a decent amount of money throughout the summer.  There have been a few other cards that Mikolas has signed more recently that seem to have watered down the price of his autographs a bit.  

I ended up with one of those cards.  It's not pretty, but it was dirt cheap.  This card is out of the Topps Chrome Update set.  It's a retail product.  




That sticker is pretty bad.  I am seriously thinking about taking a ruler to the card to see if the sticker is even straight.  Fairly certain that it is a little crooked.  I understand that we cannot get all of the autographs to be on card signatures, but we could at least do a little bit better job of blending the sticker into the photograph.  Maybe?  

The picture on the card is actually nice.  I picked up a base card too.   



Maybe it is just me, but the sticker really takes away from the picture on the card.  I like the action shot of Mikolas, but you can see the outfielder in the background and a hint of the catcher and umpire in the foreground.  

It's my first Mikolas autograph and I am happy to add it to my collection, but I am hoping that I will be able to add something nicer at some point soon.   Always happy to have a new autograph of a new player in my collection, but this card is a bit of a sticker monstrosity.  

2 comments:

  1. Mikolas has a beautiful rookie card... but you're right... the sticker kind of ruins it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost wish they had not used him as signer in this product considering they just slapped a sticker in the middle of the card. I am sure there is some other product where they could have blended the sticker better into the card.

      Delete

45 To Go

I am excited about my latest pick up for the Red Man Tobacco set I am attempting to assemble. As you can imagine, there are quite a few Hall...