Thursday, August 30, 2018

What Is That?

I have been in the market for a Jordan Hicks card for awhile.  Towards the beginning of the year his cards were sort of pricy for a middle reliever.  It felt like people really wanted his card because he threw a bunch of pitches over 100, including one that was 105. 



They started to slide back a little bit as the season has progressed.  He still is throwing really hard, but he is not closing out games for the Cardinals, or anything that gets him notoriety on a stat sheet.  I have high hopes for Jordan Hicks, but at this point he is definitely a work in progress.  One day he might get the closers job, but not at the moment.  

So after passing on a few other Hicks autographs, I finally ended up with a Bowman Platinum autograph last week.  This year's design is a real departure from the past issues of this set.  There are aspects of the card that I really enjoy.....




I like the dark background.  I like the contrast between the white/gray writing on the dark background.  I like the picture of Jordan Hicks.  I like the idea that there is some bright color on the card to contrast the dark background.  So, after looking at this card for awhile I just have one question:

What is that in the background?  

A few ideas.  



Some sort of glass blowing.  





Something Dave sees at the end of the movie 2001.  




The backdrop from a Pink Floyd concert.  




One of the distracting backgrounds on PowerPoint that only elementary and middle school kids use.

I will enjoy the Hicks card, but if Topps is going to have meaningless, weird backgrounds on cards they could really learn something from some of the Metal Universe cards from the late 1990s and early 2000s.  




Are those planets behind Ken Griffey Jr.?  I am not entirely sure, but whatever random design is behind him it looks better than Jordan Hicks.  








1 comment:

  1. Metal Universe is the king or random & weird backgrounds. Man I'd love to bust a box of that stuff.

    ReplyDelete

2024 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 7

This is the ninety-seventh Blake Snell autograph in my collection and definitely the first with the word "Pentamerous" on the fron...