Wednesday, August 22, 2018

One Fine Topps Series Two Card

I have done nothing towards collecting the second series of this year's Topps set.  No packs, no single cards, absolutely nothing.  I did put together the first series and I also put together the 1983 Topps insert set.  The 83s are also in Series 2, but I do not think I am going to do anything with them at the moment.  Still enjoying the first set......




I finally found a Topps Series 2 card that caught my interest last week doing my usual scan of saved searches that I have on Ebay.  The card was initially a little more than what I would have wanted to pay, but luckily the seller had a "Best Offer" attached to the listing, and was actually willing to move the price closer to my comfort zone.  

The results......




I ended up with an acetate parallel of one of my favorite former Durham Bulls, and current Ray, pitcher Blake Snell.  I have tracked down several of these over the years since they first came out in 2014.  Mostly Cardinals and Rays.  

I like the front of this card, the serial number on the right side is a little hard to read, but the picture is nice.  These are still numbered out of ten.  The acetate cards have a different looking finish, not sure that it really comes out as well on this card.  Maybe it's the cards from this year, or maybe it's that this Snell card has a dark background.  

Flip the card over because......



this is one of the best parts of the acetate cards.  Again, I think the dark background of the card gets in the way of this card a bit.  The player is always black and white on these cards, and with a brighter background, that features really gives the back a little bit of pop.  Contrast is nice. 

Just a quick comparison to my favorite acetate card of all-time.....




Much brighter look, higher contrast.  

Still love the Snell card.  It's a tough find of one of my favorite players.  Topps cannot go around picking out photos based on how they will look when they make certain parallels of their base cards.  Snell is young, plenty of career left in front of him.  I am sure I will end up with another one of these at some point.  

In the meantime, this card is the finest Topps Series Two card in my collection.  Not even close.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....