Saturday, March 3, 2018

An Update And A Project

I have been working on the 1983 inserts in the 2018 Topps set for roughly a month now, and have been pretty successful at picking up the cards that I need to complete the set.  I started out with just 8 cards.  I am now up to 73 of the 100 that I need to close out this project.




I have picked the cards up in trades, pulled one or two in packs of cards that I ended up opening, and I also found a pair of partial sets/large lots on Ebay for a really good price.  I love how the price of inserts drops after the cards have been out for awhile.  If I had gone all in, and tried to finish this set within the first week after my post, I would have paid far more for the lots of cards that I found on Ebay.  I was also able to turn a few of the duplicate cards into a few other needs from my checklist by swapping out with another collector putting together this set.

On to something more challenging.

Over the last year or two I have been trying to find as many Durham Bulls team sets as possible.  Some of them have been relatively easy to find.  There have been a few challenges along the way, but most were just a matter of being patient enough for them to appear.  My new set that I am going to work on is out there, just not sure about a lot of the details.

Here are the cards.....




This is from the 1997 BellSouth Bull To Braves set.  It was put out the last year that the Bulls were a Braves affiliate before switching over to the Rays Triple A team.  I have found single cards floating around, but have not been able to locate a complete set.  I do not know if they were sold as a set, or if they were some sort of promotional item given out somewhere.  

There is a checklist for sale on COMC, but one of the cards that I have found a picture of is not on this checklist.  Obviously there is at least one more checklist and a few more cards beyond what is here.....




Given the players on the checklist above, I am guess that the cards that I am missing are going to be players from the 1980s.  Almost every player on this checklist played on the Bulls in either the late 1980s, or the 1990s.  I'd guess

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck on finishing the 83 set... and picking up all of the Durham Bulls team sets. Not sure if I've publicly announced it or not, but I've been collecting San Jose Giants sets I find at flea markets and card shows over the years and have them displayed in a binder. It's been a slow process, but it's been a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....