Tuesday, January 30, 2018

and for no reason, here is Jose.

I was really missing Jose Abreu a few weeks ago.  You guys all remember the White Sox first baseman who was really popular back in 2014?  I loved collecting his cards back then, but so did a lot of other people.  He had some great looking cards back in the day.....




like four years ago.

For awhile I thought he had disappeared completely.  Nobody was talking about Jose anymore.





Apparently he still plays baseball for the White Sox.  Funny, I just don't hear anything about him anymore.  Jose is still good too.  Last season he had 33 home runs, 43 doubles, 102 RBIs, and led the American League in total bases.

So much excitement.  Back then.


I am sure some of Abreu's lack of notoriety these days is due to the fact that he's more or less all alone on the White Sox waiting for their highly regarded farm system to start churning out some help.  Avasail Garica is there too.  Honestly I forgot about him too.

I was recently reminded of Jose.  A few weeks back when I was picking up a card off an Ebay store.  There was a Jose Abreu autograph sitting there for a fraction of what they used to cost three or four years ago.  It was a nice looking card.........





and now it sitting on my desk ready to be filed away with the rest of my autographs.  

This card is from the Heritage 51 set which came out in 2015, sold as a complete set with one autograph per set.  The concept reminds me a lot of the late 1990s/early 2000s traded sets, but the design is borrowing from a vintage Topps set.  In this case, these are based on the 1951 Red Backs.  I know that Topps rehashes these every few years for some set, but they still look nice.  The signature is on card and Abreu has a pretty consistent autograph down to the #79 jersey number.  

Really, this was just a nice looking card of a good player.  It does not really fit in with most of the cards that I normally post on my blog, but there is nothing wrong with just adding a nice card of a nice player just because it's there.  We all need a card like this every once in awhile.  

1 comment:

  1. He definitely got lost in the shuffle last season. I guess that kind of thing happens when a guy like Judge comes along.

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....