Sunday, October 22, 2017

It's Good To See You Again

Several years ago I would have listed Triple Threads as one of my favorite annual baseball card products.  There was so much to love about these cards.  The product always seemed to have a great checklist with great looking cards.  They didn't even have to be players that I really sought out or collected.....




Not a huge a McCutchen collector, but I love watching him play baseball.  What modern card collector wouldn't want something like this in their collection?  Aside from the great looking autographs, Triple Threads also had some cool jersey pieces and unique designs which featured player nicknames or stats.  

Ryan Braun as the Hebrew Hammer......


 The colored pieces on the card are from the 2006 Futures Game.  This Miguel Cabrera patch card is probably my favorite non-autographed Triple Threads card.  


So what happened to my love of Triple Threads cards over the past five years?  First, most of the Cardinals and Rays (Durham Bulls) players have been repetitive.  Every year we've gotten Evan Longoria, maybe Wil Myers, Matt Carpenter, and Carlos Martinez.  I do like all of these players, but I also like a little bit of diversity, new challenges, and new faces.  

Lastly, I like this Matt Carpenter card.....


we're a chunk of bat away from this card....


There are so many Topps products that have started to drift together in appearance.  

All of this has changed my view on Triple Threads from a favorite, must have, must see card set to something that I could take or leave depending on price and how hard I have to work to win an auction on Ebay or pull off a trade.  

Well, that changed when I saw the checklist for this year's Triple Threads product.  There are new Cardinals in the set.  There are Cardinals that I really enjoy collecting.  There are Cardinals cards in the set that I am actually excited to own and worked hard to find.  Today, the first of a few cards from this year's Triple Threads set.  

Not only my newest Triple Threads, but also my latest Jimmy Ballgame card.  



First, the negative.  It's a sticker autograph, but it's really well done.  Not one of those silver stickers on a white card.  This is as good as it gets for a sticker.  

Second, this is the second Topps product that Edmonds has appeared in this year.  I am almost positive that he is also going to be in the Topps Signature Archives set coming out soon.  Topps doesn't have to make cards of retired players, especially of those who are not in the Hall of Fame (he should be).  

Last thing I love about this card.  It celebrates Edmonds performance in the 2004 National League Championship Series.  Pujols won the MVP for the Series, but Edmonds had a great series.  He had an incredible catch to save the team from getting behind in Game 7, but before that he won Game 6 with a walk off home run.  


One of my favorite memories from the LaRussa era Cardinals.  It's good to see you again Triple Threads.  

2 comments:

  1. There was a time when sticker autographs didn't bother me that much. It coincided with my love for Triple Threads. These days I still enjoy TT memorabilia cards... but I no longer chase down the autographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a huge fan of the sticker graphs but I am slowly warming up to them!

    ReplyDelete

Monday Morning Autograph - Felipe Lopez

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.   T...