Thursday, July 9, 2015

Snorting Bull Summer Baseball Tour Game 6: Richmond Flying Squirrels vs. Harrisburg Senators

This is the finale of my Summer Baseball Tour posts for my blog.  I still have a few more weeks of vacation and I am attending more baseball games, but I am not going to write posts for them and they will likely all involve the Durham Bulls.  I am taking a short road trip to Richmond for my last stop because it is the first place that I ever watched a professional baseball game back in the early 1980s.  My father was in grad school there and we did not live too far from the stadium.

The ballpark has changed over from Parker Field to The Diamond, but they are in the same exact location.  Here's a look at the old stadium via Digital Ballparks.....


The tenant has also changed.  For years Richmond was home to the Braves Triple A team, but they moved to Gwinnett a few years back after the city failed to build the team a new stadium.  In 2009 the Giants relocated their Double A team from Norwich, Connecticut to Richmond.  The Flying Squirrels were born.

The Senators are starting Matthew Spann (formerly of the Rays organization) who has been everywhere this year:


He's also really big (6'6) and left-handed.

The Senators also feature: Matthew Skole (6th rated prospect), Brian Goodwin (7), Pedro Severino (11), and Wilmer Difo (18).  Difo's rating was pre-2015, but there are a lot of prospect watchers who think his stock is headed way up.  He rates as a 70 runner by multiple sources, but has also started to drive the ball to the tune of 14 home runs and 7 triples, and 31 doubles last year.  A little less power this year in Double A, but still an intriguing prospect.

The Squirrels are starting Matt Lujan.  Meh.


The Squirrels also feature: Kyle Crick (1), Tyler Beede (2), Adelberto Meija (4).  They have also had Mac Williamson (Wake Forest) on their roster, but he's been promoted up to Triple A.  Devin Harris (East Carolina) is also on their roster.  Not a lot of offense, tons of pitching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday Morning Autograph - Felipe Lopez

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.   T...