Sunday, July 26, 2015

#MyCardMonday

I am going to be doing a whole bunch of stuff with Stadium Club this week.  I have spent a lot of time this month on Minor League Baseball games and Minor League card sets which has limited the amount of time I spent on new cards coming into my collection.  How many different products were released in the last few weeks that I did not get to touch on yet?  A bunch, and I plan on slowly catching up over the next few weeks.  So, for this week's version of #MyCardMonday I am choosing to go with an older Stadium Club card.

Two weeks ago I picked a Stadium Club card of Matt Holliday because I loved the fact that the card told a story.  There are many Stadium Club cards that fit into this category and make them one of my favorite products.  This Mark McGwire card definitely tells a story, so here it is......


The Stadium Club Scenes cards were a pretty popular insert back in the 2000 Stadium Club product.  I pulled one of these out of a box and ended up picking up a few more out of the dollar box at my local card shop back in the day.  I love the panoramic view of Busch Stadium II in the card and dig the view of Big Mac on deck.  If you ever saw McGwire in person he had a really unique on deck routine.  I always liked watching him stretch the bat behind his back, squint his eyes, do head rolls, and just stand there like he is in the card.

The scan does not really do this card justice, but there is a lot of information on the scoreboard in the background.  Edgar Renteria is batting for the Cardinals, the game is in the first inning, and the Cardinals are losing to the Dodgers 1-0.  So much here to work on, so it was not hard to track this game down to a single game....

The picture in this card was taken on May 16th, 1999.  The Cardinals beat the Dodgers 5-4, and while Mark McGwire did not hit a home run during this game, my 90s favorite Cardinals player Ray Lankford hit two home runs including a walk off in the ninth against Dodgers closer Jeff Shaw.  Sorry, MLB has not published a video of this awesome highlight yet.  More Stadium Club tomorrow..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday Morning Autograph - Felipe Lopez

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.   T...