Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Willie McGee's Fabulous Retired Signature

Some of the old 80s Cardinals players can be a little bit tricky to collect.  While the team won a World Series in 1982, and appeared in two other fall classics in 1985 and 1987, the team was devoid of star power outside of Ozzie Smith.  There were some good players on those teams like Jack Clark, Tom Herr, Joaquin Andujar, John Tudor, Tony Pena, and Andy Van Slyke.  While all of these players have signed for card companies in recent years, there are not tons of autographs of these players.  

One of my favorites, centerfielder Willie McGee, has been particularly tough.  He's signed for very few sets and his cards are very popular with Cardinals collectors.  Recently he has signed a little bit more and has a few autographs floating around from Leaf and Panini.  Previously, he had a Fleer Greats of the Game autograph, on a sticker, and a pair of Topps autographs from Fan Favorites and Retired Signatures.  

Naturally the two Topps autographs were on card signatures and fetched some pretty hefty prices.  The additional McGee signatures released in the past year have driven the price of the two older Topps signatures down.  Collectors could have expected to pay around $40-$50 for these two McGee autographs in the recent past, can now find the cards for half the price.  My latest edition:




I took this card off the hands of a trade partner looking to avoid a little bit in Ebay fees.  I have been after this card for a long time and am happy to finally have it checked off of my list.  I love the Topps Retired Signatures set.  It's a great set of on-card signatures of retired players, or as my trade partner called Willie McGee "an older player".  Feeling a little bit old tonight.  I will throw a little something extra out there with this post.  If you are a younger collector, stay a few extra minutes and learn something new about Willie.  If you're an older collector you can relive a few good memories from the past.  


A post in a post.....


THE SNORTING BULL'S BEST OF WILLIE MCGEE

 I coined tossed between the time that Willie McGee won the National League batting title playing for the A's.  I've heard that one too many times, so I will go with my favorite Willie moment that I saw in person:

3. 1997 Cardinals Home Opener Walk Off Home Run 


2. 1985 National League MVP and Batting Title


1. 1982 World Series Game 3


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday Morning Autograph - Felipe Lopez

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.   T...