Sunday, November 16, 2014

The Things You'll Find While Shuffling Through Your Boxes, Want Lists, Bowl Games, and Other Minutiae

I spent a little bit of time yesterday watching the NC State football game and sorting and filing some cards.  The Wolfpack was stuck at five wins on the season and needed one more to get to a bowl game this year.  Enter Wake Forest.  Last year State did not win a conference game and did not make a bowl game for the first time in a long time.  Yesterday was a big step forward:





I got a lot done with my cards too.  I started to compile a wish list of cards that I would like to add to my collection and was also able to extract a huge stack of nice duplicates and other items to use as trade bait.  As quickly as the list was made a few cards were quickly eliminated.  It's amazing what you will find when you do a little bit of cleaning.  I think my mom told me that all the time back in the day.  Probably should have listened a little better.....

Here's my first card checked off the list.  It was sitting right here in a box......



If you have not kept track of all the off season happenings the Rays traded Snorting Bull favorite, and former Durham Bull, Jeremy Hellickson to the Diamondbacks for a pair of highly regarded minor league prospects.  One of them is former second round draft pick Justin Williams.  The outfielder has hit for a high average and shown great ability to get on-base.  We just need a little power.  Williams will likely be in Durham at some point, so I might as well get a start on finding his cards.  Right?  

I have no idea how I got this card.  It's not a very old card and I never posted on this blog.  I am going to guess it was a throw in at some point, but I am really glad it is here.  I will have to publish my list somehow when I finish it off.  Maybe over Thanksgiving Break.  How many collectors have want lists?  How many collectors publish their want lists?  

4 comments:

  1. I wish I was organized enough to have complete want lists. I have one for my Jack Wilson collection and my Pirates vintage needs, and have been slowly plugging away at creating a master checklist for more recent years of Pirates cards going off of Beckett's database. But that's a pretty tall task, since their checklists are riddled with errors.

    Good luck with the new collection! I know a few Dbacks fans who were pretty disappointed Williams was traded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my biggest problems with creating a want list is I fear it will be ridiculously long. I run into all sorts of cards that I would love to add to my collection. Especially following a minor league team, there are tons of players coming and going. Add in the players I collect from the Cardinals and Rays and I worry the list will be fifteen pages. I saw Night Owl just posts 9 at a time. I might try something like that.

      Delete
  2. I try to have a want list, but I'm not very good at keeping up with it. I have a general idea of the top few cards I am chasing at any given time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of cards at the top of my list, but I have been looking for a few of them for years.

      Delete

Monday Morning Autograph - Felipe Lopez

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.   T...