Saturday, November 29, 2014

A Stylish Jimmy Ballgame

Besides being a really really good baseball player many fans of opposing teams often took note of some of the fashion statements that Jim Edmonds would display around the ballpark.  Baseball players often have cool shoes or some sort of lucky gold chain, but Edmonds went the unusual route with his displays of fashion.  Cubs fans often talked about this Jimmy Ballgame look from back in the early 2000s.



Kind of reminds me of something that Brian Bosworth would would wear to a job interview.  I cannot tell you how many jokes I heard opposing fans crack over the years about Edmonds and his half shirts.  Tigers fans might remember this great look from the 2006 World Series.....




Some people wear long sleeves or one of those Underarmor shirts, but Jim wore a windbreaker under his jersey for much of the 2006 World Series.  All kinds of great comments on this fashion piece all over the internet.  I believe UniWatch on ESPN went into a full rant about fining baseball players money for their uniform, NFL style, because of this Edmonds masterpiece.  I could go on with more, but if I expanded my post to cover all of the Edmonds fashion statements made over the years I would not get to the baseball cards.  Plus, I am having difficulty wrapping my head around the difference between hair frosting and SunIn.

I recently ran into a really inexpensive baseball card of Jimmy Ballgame from the 2003 Donruss Signature set.  The card was simply advertised as being a serial numbered card out of 100.  No other details.



I was a pretty big fan of this set in spite of the fact that all of the autographs were stickers.  The design was pretty typical of something that Donruss would roll out, but I really liked the look.  Very nice contrast with the dark patch in the middle in front of the player picture.  What could make this card even better?  Flip it over.......


Not super big into the Ebay 1/1 thing, but having a card numbered to a players jersey or having the first card in a print run is always something pretty cool.  I had no idea that I was getting a card numbered to Edmonds jersey number, but I cannot complain at all.  Pretty sweet looking card.

3 comments:

  1. Great card. I just started a new collection of first cards in a print run. As for cards numbered to their jersey number... I think I only have one, maybe two in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a really cool Tony Gwynn card I am going to have to send you. It's AWOL at the moment, but it's the first of a print run. Really cool card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. That would be sweet! I've been thinking about making it a goal of mine to collect at least one 1/xx of each of my favorite players.

      Delete

Monday Morning Autograph - Felipe Lopez

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.   T...