Friday, May 30, 2014

Fabulous Freese Five Star

I swear when I get my computer situation straightened out I will repost this card.  I almost feel bad posting this card without scanning it.  It is that nice.  Really nice.  On appearance alone I give the card a 10 out of 10.  The combination of a red background with silver ink is beautiful when you add in the fact that the card features a picture of Freese wearing his cream colored Cardinals alternate jersey.  Every part of this card is just well done.  I am not sure words can say....


Freese cards are actually something that I have started looking into more since he was traded to the Angels this past off season.  That sounds a little bit backwards, but he was seriously over priced as a Cardinals player.  It happens.  Freese is a hometown guy from St. Louis and did this.....


which was pretty cool until he did this.....



Sometimes it only takes one game to make someone a fan favorite.  Fernando Tatis, Bud Smith, Mark Whiten are just some of my favorite Cardinals players who's legacy with the team was defined by a single moment or a single game.  During his five season in St. Louis Freese posted a respectable .286/.356/.427 line, but appeared in more than 100 games in just two out of the five season.  Add in the fact that his production sagged during the 2013 season and he was always a bit of a defensive liability.  

Now collectors can also add in a trade to Anaheim and the price of Freese cards has plummeted over the past year.  Freese has always been a great signer and had plenty of autographed cards out on the market.  The cards also frequently hovered around $20.  A bit high in my opinion for Freese, but many of his base autographs are now quite easy to find for less than $10, while high end products like my of this Freese Five Star autograph, only cost slightly more than $10.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....