Friday, February 21, 2014

Reflections on a Die-Cut

The whole purpose of buying Pacific baseball cards back in the late 90s, or early 2000s, was to land some sweet insert cards.  The company dabbled in autographs and relics, but the insert market is where the company really made a name for itself.  In particular, they made some really great die-cut cards.  More than a decade after the company stopped making baseball cards, Topps is just starting to introduce some of the most basic die-cut concepts used by Pacific in making their inserts.

My latest Pacific die-cut pick-up is from one of the tougher pulls from the 2000 Pacific set.  The Reflections set was seeded at 1per 97 packs which is some long odds.  Basically one a case.  In fact, as a fan of Pacific die-cuts, I actually do not own one of these cards.   There is even a Cardinals card in the set, Mark McGwire, and Scott Rolen too.  He can be a Cardinal.  So, here's my first one...


Easily the worst card in the set, but I am still very happy to own this piece of cardboard.  The cards all have the same basic design substitute the logo behind the shades and the player reflected on the lens of the sunglasses.  The more expensive cards in the set generally seem to stay below $10 except for the Ken Griffey which sells for a pretty steep price ($25-$30).  I am going to have to pick up a few more of these this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....