Saturday, June 1, 2013

2000 Topps Stadium Club King of The Hill Game Used Mound Dirt

You read that title right.  Earlier in the week I posted a "unique" relic card feature a piece of wall from Pittsburgh's Three Rivers Stadium.  To make the card a little bit stranger Donruss, the manufacturer of the card, decided to attach the wall piece to Dodgers/Mets catcher Mike Piazza.  I came across the Piazza card when I ran into a collector specializing in oddball relics.  I've met plenty of collectors who enjoy oddball cards, but I actually had a lot of fun looking at a few of the unique relic cards.  Besides the Piazza, I also decided to make a trade for a cool looking oddball relic of Red Sox pitcher Pedro Martinez.


2000 Topps Stadium Club King of the Hill Game Used Mound Dirt


Topps actually made a whole set of these for the 2000 Stadium Club featuring both dirt from several pitchers mounds and batter boxes.  I am not sure how authentic dirt can be, but if nothing else the card is a good discussion piece.  I am not sure whether the dirt came off the mound during the 1999 or 2000 season, but they were both pretty spectacular years that that resulting in the Red Sox right hander winning the American League Cy Young Award.  

Similar to the game used wall card of Piazza this card also features a relic from a common area on the baseball field.  I am sure that the dirt probably is from the pitchers mound in Fenway Park, but who really can quantify the use of dirt on a pitchers mound.  Needless to say, the concept of the game used dirt card did not make it past the 2000 Stadium Club set.  However, I will say that I am going to find a copy of the McGwire batters box dirt card from this set.  

3 comments:

  1. Always liked these. Probably because it was a one and done thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. I like these cards. Worst case scenario, they're a great conversation piece.

    ReplyDelete

Monday Morning Autograph - Felipe Lopez

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.   T...